Monday, April 27, 2009

UNITED NATION LOCS



Unfortunately I do not have "GOOD HAIR" for dreadlocks. The Ideal hair texture for locs are tightly coiled or grade 4 hair texture. My hair is in the grade 3 family. My hair is a loose curl texture. When my hair is wet, it becomes bone straight! DAMN!!! I had and still have bunching issues with a few locs that are not yet fully locked. I have to stretch out my locs, separate them and get under a cool dryer, so they will plump up and not tangle! I have stray hair that do not stay in the loc.



Instead of that tight coil at the tips, I have a loose Shirley Temple going on! How many times did I considered cutting my locs and giving up? Many! I considered starting all over with tst
(two strand twist) and maintain my re tightening by twisting. But to start all over, I don`t think I could stand another journey. Who says that I will not have other types of issues with that method! As I see it, it`s another type of method with the same type of hair!





When I first decided to get locs, I searched different websites and SisterLock blogs for the locs that I wanted. I fell in love with this woman`s locs. I took this picture to my consultant. I told her this is how I want my locs. Did I get her locs? Hell No! She has over 400 locs and I have 300 locs. She has tightly coiled hair, I have loosely coiled hair! I was so disappointed.




My locs will never look like hers or anyone else. My locs are a characteristic of my lineage. As I learn to accept who I`am, I have to accept that my locs are a representation of my family tree. I represent West Indian ( Barbados), East Indian ( India), American Indian ( Cherokee), Irish, and Africa. When I look at my reflection, I see many nationalities who make up who I`am. So, my hair is no different!



So when your hair begins to bunch, go to Dewdrops blog and learn how to fix them. If they are already locking, you can either take the loc down or wait until they loc and cut the bunched section off, as I had done. If you have over matted tips, you can either, pick out the matted tips and then braid or back comb and roll the tips. You can do what I did, allow the loc to lock and then cut the over matted portion off. The locs sealed nicely without over matting. If you have curly Q`s like mine, you can back comb the tips or braid the tips.

Bottom line! our hair represents who we are! Most people who embark on this journey, discover who they really are. Most of us have perpetrated a fraud by relaxing our hair trying look like someone we do not see in the mirror, but see on the telly and in our everyday life!

God accepts us for who we are! Why can`t we accept our selves?

GOD IS LOVE. WHOEVER LIVES IN LOVE LIVES IN GOD, AND GOD IN HIM. 1 JOHN 4:16

10 comments:

Naturally Sophia said...

My hair keeps bunching. I have cut my ends a few times and the ends still matte. I will never have "perfect" locks and I get tired of ppl telling me how to make them perfect according to their standards. I just accept what I have, monitor the bunching and keep it moving. I really enjoyed this post.

Unknown said...

Way to go girl! You are so right, we just have to accept our own hair and embrace the fact that it will not be identical to someone elses hair!! Great post!

NPYNHPY said...

I've used Dr. Bonner's peppemint soap and it help alot with bunching. Peace Roberta

Naturigurl said...

I hear you sister amen to that. Like Ive mentioned in my blog I can learn to enjoy life for what it is including my hair. Locking is a time to find ones self and take the good with the bad. All this time (Relaxing hair days) my hair had to contend with me and my issues now it's my turn to deal with what my hair has to say. We can not look at someone and say I'm gonna have her hair because it's just not going to happen. I'm learning to embrace this new me and I commend all women who choose to embrace theirs. Thank you for this it was insightful :3

Nat

Kumina said...

AMEN and AMEN! And by the way your locs are fantastic! Just like you loved someone else's locs, you'd better believe people are using the pictures of your locs for inspiration too.

katia said...

I really appreciate your blogs it has great information that i was able to share with another member who needed a recipe about wheatgrass. I like the information
make-up as well

NubianLockedPrincess said...

Thank you all for leaving your views. The beauty of this journey is that we learn to re program our thinking from self hate to self love! In the process, some of us discover or rediscover holistic healing. No chemicals. just natural products from made by God.

Kumina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kumina said...

Nubian, Lilly passed a tag award to me and I'm passing it on to you. Please read my post to see how it works.

NubianLockedPrincess said...

Thank you Kumina!