Saturday, July 13, 2013

MY NEW DREADLOCK JOURNEY!



My three months of loose hair became boring very quickly! I thought of perming again, but then I would have to be at the mercy of a salon. I wanted to maintain a short do.  Then I would begin the vicious cycle of hair mutilation. That thought left quickly! I also thought of texturizing my hair. Again that would lead to hair and scalp damage. I thought, If I place a texturizer in my hair, I will have to have another big chop to lock up my hair. 

I love my wigs, but they do get hot! I could not wait until I got home to pull the wig cap and wig off so my scalp could breath!
 My wigs have allowed my hair to grow and stay healthy. I plan to wear them until my babies begin to lock. I will continue to use them as fashion accessories.


I`am going to Barbados for vacation and to unite with cousins I never met in October. The first thing I thought about is my hair. How the hell could I possible swim in a wig? Yes, I could get braids. Then I would have to deal with the soreness of tight braids and potential damage to my scalp.

Why would I waste time and money on micro braids, when I could re-lock my hair!

I wanted traditional locs, so I twisted my loose curl textured hair. When moisture hit it, they began to unravel. That stressed me out! I decide to interlock.
 I found my self going to the SisterLock web site searching for consultants and trainees in my area. I really did not want micro locs. I wanted my locks smaller than traditional locs. I don`t give a shit about perfect grids and lock uniformity. All I want is neat looking locs.
When I thought about paying $600 + for someone to install my locs because of my laziness and impatience, I said to my self, WTF!! You can loc up your own hair!

With the help of two mirrors and my husband helping me straighten my parts that I can`t see, my babies are being born! Thanks to my wigs, I birth a few babies at a time! When I get tired, I stop. I place my wig mesh cap on and keep it moving!

BABY LOC CARE:

Wash locs with a clarifying shampoo. NO CONDITIONERS!
Remember to braid and band new interlocks. If you can`t braid your short locs, group them together and place small rubber bands at the ends.

SHAMPOOS I USED:
Knotty Boy Shampoo Bar: Baby loc stage.
Bronner`s Pure Castile Soap: Unscented Baby Mild.
Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo. 
Beauty Without Cruelty Shampoo: Rosemary Mint Tea Tree 

TO PREVENT ITCHING: 
 1 tbs- Sweet almond oil
5 drops Tea tree essential oil
5 drops Peppermint essential oil
5 drops  Rosemary essential oil



I apply this oil to my scalp only. To keep my developing locs moisturized, I use Jane Carter Leave in conditioner. It does not make the locs unravel. To rid bed head, I spritz with water. WATER IS YOUR FRIEND!

MINIMAL MANIPULATION OF LOCS ARE KEY!

Until next time, stay blessed! 










10 comments:

Kittylocks said...

wow you are at it again, I will be watching your journey as usual, well done your locks look good and your hair grows quickly x

NubianLockedPrincess said...

Hello Kitty! Thank you! I could not go to the other side. I love locs! I want this set to have less volume. Now that I know what to expect with my hair in regards to locking, I`am sure the second set of locs will be a pinch!
I see you are doing great things!

anthia-ofo said...

Once locked...always locked lol! It's going to look great.

Anonymous said...

Hey Nubian,
If I use crazy glue on my loc ends, will the glue come off.? If so, abt how long after I put it in.?

Almocado said...

I continue to follow your journey with excitment - honestly, there's never a dull moment with you :)

Enjoy Barbados and do go see changes they've made at Harrison's cave (if you haven't been already)

-- Bajan Lily (Love, Life, locs)

Anonymous said...

Hello NubianLocked Princes,
Congrats on your new journey!! I am starting my sisterlocks journey in a few weeks. I am wondering if you could refer me to a good sisterlock consultant in NY.

--Gayle

KnottyAuthor said...

woohoo! congrats! i get it..i get it...me 2..keep watching :)!!!

NubianLockedPrincess said...

@ Anonymous: If you place the glue on the tip of your locs when they are new, you will have to cut the glue tips off in 3 to four months. You have to allow you locs to go through the locking process.
On locked hair with loose or unraveling ends, plase a pin size inside the tips of your locs and twist the tips. you will not see the glue. Your ends will look naturally sealed.

@ Ofo, Bajan Lilly and Cheleski,I had to realize loose hair is work!
Bajan Lily I will be staying in Paynes Bay. My folks are from Bridgetown. I will hit Harrison`s Cave.

@ Gayle: Try Cynthia Webb (845-536-9921 or intricatelocks@yahoo.com);

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the referral. Stay blessed and good luck with your new loc journey. I will be following your journey as I begin mine.
-Gayle

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you decided to start again, I just started my journey on Wed the 17th, so we are almost twins. My hair looks exactly like yours at this point. I will be following you closely for guidance, and can't wait to see how we progress on.