Saturday, March 2, 2013

EPIPHANYI

T
                                                               NEW BABY LOC

EPIPHANY: A sudden, intuitive perception of insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by something, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience.

I was on the fence about cutting my locs. I realized that when I faced a life crisis, I always had the urge to drastically change my hair. After deep thought, I wondered what will happen to my hair if I cut off my locks. For five years and three months, I had not stepped into a salon. I did not have to wait for hours to get my hair done. I did not have to spend money on them other than my hair products (which are minimal) and perm rods.

 I awake each morning not worrying about whether I will be late for work because I`am having a bad hair day! To tell you the truth, I have not had a bad hair day since my baby loc days! When I workout , swim, or get caught in the rain, my locs stay looking the same.

Last week, at my new job, a surgeon and I had a conversation about how our people are so fixated on European beauty. We spoke about long hair weaves, skin lightening and the desire to be model thin instead of healthy thin. When I took my surgical cap off, she stated how beautiful my hair was. I told her that I started with SisterLocks. I gave her the SisterLocks information and a list of consultants. I also gave her a list of blogs of women with different types of locks and their journeys. Then she can decide what best for her,

I want people to accept me as  a Black Women! Not a wannabe. My husband says my locs are my trademark. They were one of the features that had attracted him to me. He said I wore them with confidence.


              TIGHTENED LOCS

I will continue to wear my locks in confidence. I will just chock it up as the five year itch! If God is willing, will continue to wear my locs for another five years! 

 "During the entire period of his vow of separation no razor may be used on his head. he must be holy until the period of his separation to the Lord is over; he must let the hair of his head grow long" Numbers 6:5





5 comments:

Queenlocks said...

Greetings!

ITA with you! :)
It is the reason I got my 2nd set of locks {5 yrs. ago}. I am still wearing them, and if they and I should part ways, I know I will just want to lock my hair again!
{rock a 3rd set}

It's been a while since I heard from you, and I have not updated my blog yet! I am making the choice to make my braidlocks larger next year, and possibly freeform.

Take Care
Queen~

Glamour Damsel said...

I commend you for having discipline enough not to cut them!! It's very inspirational! I would love locs but I see women who time and time again, cut their beautiful locs after abt 3-5 years and its very discouraging! This reminds me why I want locs. Very versatile and low maintenance! I'm sure if Rihanna didn't have ppl styling her hair all day everyday, she'd want low maintenance hair too!!!

nubianepiphany said...

Epiphany...that's why my username is nubianepiphany...because once I started wearing dreads I realized that I am a beautiful black woman in my natural state.

I say, keep on with the keeping on.
Bravo for your decision to stay as you are. Life can be so challenging and we sometimes react to those challenges in extreme and drastic ways.

Stay strong and confident and wear those dreads till your hair falls out from super old age!

Namaste
nubianepiphany

KnottyAuthor said...

whatever you decide, im rolling with you! :)

Amolo said...

Love your hair. I have had locks for slightly over two years now and I don't regret doing it. Its great because chemicals thinned my hair too much but no my hair is so healthy. Thanks for sharing your journey. I also have a blog about my art but sometimes I write about other beautiful things in my life like my locks http://amolosart.blogspot.com/2013/02/dreading.html