Sunday, January 15, 2017

MY SISTERLOCS ARE ONE YEAR OLD!



 

My SisterLocks made one year old on 11/28/2016. The third time is almost a charm. I did not do anything to my locs. I kept it simple. I wash them every three weeks with Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo. Sealing the moisture in with apricot kernel oil infused with tea tree, peppermint and rosemary essential oils. I spritz my locs twice a week with Jane Carter Leave In conditioner.  I also spritz my locs everyday with water.

 

I re-ti every 6-8 weeks. Since the front and top of my hair are fine and grows quickly, I re-ti that portion, once every four weeks to prevent tangling.


After my hair began to settle, I dyed it. I use Garnier Nutrisse 535 Medium Golden Mahogany Brown. I maintain it Clairol Beautiful Collection Advance Gray Solution, Mahogany Red Brown. I now use Joico Color Endure Sulfate-Free Shampoo or Avlon KeraCare Moisturizing Shampoo for Color Treated Hair. When I curl my hair, which isn't often, I use Lotta Body Coconut Shea Oils Setting Lotion.


            Bunching

I have close to 500 locs. Most are between small and medium size locs. There are some micro size thrown in. I guess my consultant either got tired or misjudged the parts. Its all good. I think she did an excellent job! It took her 3-4 hours to re-ti my hair. It takes me a few days to re-ti! When I had 200 locs, it me a few hours to re-ti. Everyone loves my hair! I do not like all these tiny locks! They remind me of medusa! I know as micro locs age, they begin to narrow in the middle. That is why I opted to combine my first set of locks. My next re-ti, will be a combine loc session! After all, I`am approaching 56 yrs, in three months. My fingers are not what they use to be. I will have to train my husband and my niece who express learning how to reti my hair. LOL!

 

 I noticed I did not experience the locking process as the first and second set of locs. Maybe because these set of locks are smaller.  My first set of Sisterlocks took 18 months to fully lock. They were the traditional set. Small locs in the front, medium locs at the crown and large locs in the back. My second set of locs, were large sisterlocks. They went through the locking process within a year. I have noticed larger locs lock faster than smaller locs!

My current locs are settled and don't slip or unravel after I wash them. I have curly Q and the end of my locs like all of my set of locs. My hair never locks at the bottom. I had to cut my curly Qs under the locked portion of my locs, so that the ends will draw up into the loc.

For the most part, This loc journey has been the least stressed! I have learned a great deal about my hair over the years. I have embraced them and allowed them to do what they do! 


1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (ESV)

19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.














6 comments:

KnottyAuthor said...

Please add my blog back!?!!😁

Congrats to you. I'm so glad to see you are hanging in there with these locks! They're beautiful! I've also said that mid 50s will be my testing ground for ending this set. I would not enjoy my journey if I can't maintain my way. I noticed Artur sneaking in my life in my mid 30s. I'm 49 this yr and....will re-evaluate when I can't control my hairpin😜. I would go loose, may be via TWA...since takedown will be a challenge as well. My last takedown took 4 mos, yikes. In 2012 it wasn't so bad...but if I ever went to an adult center,..I'd worry about the care of my hair by others....things we think about👀😳

Congrats and thanks for the update!! Missed ya!

Unknown said...

Hello! Just discovering your blog. I follow you on YouTube. First off, let me say that I love that scripture at the end. Isn't it wonderful how truly valuable we are just for the simple fact that we don't belong to ourselves. We belong to God and we're bought with the precious sacrifice of Jesus Christ God's only begotten son. :) Secondly, I love the color on your hair! It suits you well. Your hair is gorgeous! It does look like a lot of locs! I can imagine that tightening all of that could be very time consuming and seem like a chore or burden! But nevertheless it's got to be done right?! ;) I haven't gotten sisterlocks or microlocks yet, but I've been seriously considering it. I'm tired of styling my short, loose thin hair and it can be a challenge to deal with at times! Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my tightly coily textured hair, but the short, and thin strands are what I don't like so much. My hair is 4c and is very low density around my edges and in the front and lower back part of my head. Everywhere else is normal density. My strands are very fine with my thickest strands being mainly in my crown area. Plus my head is very small. (About 21.5-22 in circumference) So yeah I won't have over 360 locs even if they're micro or small. ( Trust me I've mimicked the sisterlock grid with my parting and counted the amount of locks I would have approximately in each section. Rows, columns, individual sizes of locs and all! ) Ive researched sisterlocks for awhile now and part of the reason that I want them besides the look and convenience, is for the appearance of fuller looking hair and length retention that I can achieve and see more readily than with my current loose natural hair. I have a very short growth cycle and terminal length naturally so I have never experienced more than bottom the neck length hair, even with having natural hair for 7.5 years now. I am completely healthy with a healthy lifestyle, and heathly practices for my body inside and out. I don't color treat or perm my hair at all! I have grey hairs a lot especially around my edges and I'm only 30 years old! I might just be deficient in zinc though. I heard that taking molasses daily helps over time. May have to try it. But anyways I heard a well known sisterlocks consolutent from the UK on YouTube say that for people with thinner and finer hair, that small and microlocks are better for maximum fullness and body. I know that thinner locks are more prone to breakage though and more likely have to be joined later. I NEVER want to have to join locs EVER! I may have to evaluate long term health of locs over the full look that I want because I fear that I may not be able to have my cake and eat it too, so to speak! My edges are really fragile and I do suffer with sebborhic dermititis off and on so I'm trying to get my scalp in a conditioned and healthier, flake free state right now before I start my locs.

Unknown said...

I am going to be using rosewater sprays and rosemary and sage tea rinses weekly to see if this helps with moisture balance in my scalp. I also will be applying half olive oil, half coconut oil with tea tree oil, peppermint oil, and rosemary oil added to it, but only to my scalp, a very little. I heard castor oil works wonders too but if I use this, which I have before, I will use it very sparingly and not everyday. I mist my hair daily with distilled water plus I drink 3 liters of water everyday and I take a complete GMO free multi vitamin from Mykind Organics. I also have been taking fish oil pills for about 1 month now. I do acv rinses every now and then and it helps a lot too especially with itchiness, but it smells awefull so I always do a half and half ratio and add a couple of drops of lavender oil in it. I helps to sooth my scalp even more. I use head and shoulders the almond kind whenever I'm having flare-ups from the dermititis since it's the only shampoo besides bentonite clay that I've found that will clear up my flakes over a short period of time. After it clears up, I use a gentler Shea moisture shampoo and and deep conditioner followed by a leave in conditioner from kinky curly but very diluted. I tell you all of this to let you know that I am trying to do what I can to correct my thinning hair and scalp issues. I breastfeed as well and have been for 23 months now, so maybe that's the reason for the shedding and thinning. It was a lot thicker before I had baby girl. I wonder if I go ahead and get sisterlocks, once my hair finally starts to thicken back up, will my locks look thin in some parts and then thicker where my hair has started to change in density? Hmmm... I wonder. :/ Sorry so long of a comment, I tend to ramble! (Cover my eyes in shame, smh!)

saundra said...

Your locs are beautiful. How do you deal with the bunching?

Anonymous said...

You did it! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Michele